Sunday, December 20, 2009

Getting back on track, GOD'S track

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6-7

Today was the best message I have ever heard at church. In actuality I have probably heard better, but none spoke to me like the one given this morning. Our church is in the middle of a series titled Interrupted. Today's messages was about God interrupting your life when you least expect it. To explain this the pastor chose to talk about the story of Zacharias and Elizabeth. If you are not familiar with the story here is the very shortened version. Zacharias and Elizabeth were followers of God and very faithful people. They were not able to have children but continued to pray that one day God would grant their wish. Zacharias was invited to go to the temple to light an incense and during that visit the angel Gabriel came to him to give him the good news that Elizabeth was going to have a son. Zacharias had his doubts as they were older people, but God fulfilled his promise and 9 months later their son John was born. Through all the years of not being able to have children they remained faithful to God's plan. They continued to pray that they would have a child, but they never tried to form a plan B. They knew it would happen in God's time. The pastor talked about sometimes when things are not going as you hope you form a plan B, thinking that your plan is better that God's. He talked about always praying for what you want and God will make it happen in his time, as his timing is perfect. I know that I have been really frustrated and although every day I pray for a child, I have been doing it half heartily, looking for my plan B. Secretly thinking that my plan B must be better, as God's plan A is not working. Clearly I know God's plan is perfect, I just thought mine was faster. After today I have a renewed sense that God will give us our child is HIS time, not mine. I just have to continue to pray with my whole heart and not even think about plan B. I feel like I am back on track, not my track but his.

No comments:

Post a Comment